WordPress Themes are files that work together to create the design and functionality of a WordPress site. Each Theme may be different, offering many choices for site owners to instantly change their website look.
You may wish to develop WordPress Themes for your own use, for a client project or to submit to the WordPress Theme Directory.
A WordPress Theme benefits
- To create a unique look for your WordPress site.
- To take advantage of templates, template tags, and the WordPress Loop to generate different website results and looks.
- You can display the site content wherever you want.
- You can include images and videos anywhere in your theme.
- To provide alternative templates for specific site features, such as category pages & search result pages.
- To quickly switch between two site layouts, orto allow site owners to change the look of your site.
- It separates the presentation styles and template files from the system files so the site will upgrade without drastic changes to the visual presentation of the site.
- It allows for customization of the site functionality unique to that Theme.
- It allows for quick changes of the visual design and layout of a WordPress site.
- It removes the need for a typical WordPress site owner to have to learn CSS, HTML, and PHP in order to have a great-looking website. Any one build site without any CSS,HTML, PHP knowledge with the help of Theme
Before theme development you need to understand :
- WordPress basic : installation, setup etc.
- WordPress Basic Development concepts : Loop, Filter, Metabox, Widget, Menu, Post, Page, Theme structure etc
- Coding Standards
It is easy to design your theme using WordPress. All you have to do is to go through this tutorial as it is designed mainly for beginners. You will get great help from this.
A Step By Step Guide for WordPress Theme Development